What is Rowdy Corps?
Rowdy Corps is a community-based work study program that connects UTSA students with the broader San Antonio community. The Rowdy Corps program provides the opportunity for work study eligible students to apply their skills and learning in real world settings. Participating students undergo experiential community engaged learning with critical reflective analysis, focused leadership and professional development trainings to prepare students for life after graduation. Students have the opportunity to attend community networking events and participate in community engaged learning projects outside of the university.
1. How do I know if I am eligible to join Rowdy Corps?
To be eligible, you must be a recipient of college work study funding and meet the qualifications established for Satisfactory Academic Progress. Check your work study eligibility by logging onto your ASAP account and view your Financial Aid Award Letter. To be considered for work study funding, you must designate interest in work study when you complete your annual FAFSA.
Work study eligibility is a requirement but does not guarantee admittance to the Rowdy Corps program. Students must also submit an application.
Due to a limited number of Rowdy Corps positions approved each academic year, applicants will be reviewed and accepted on a rolling “first come, first served” basis. Interested parties are encouraged to apply as early as possible to assure consideration for a spot in the Rowdy Corps program. Individual program applications will be reviewed and addressed within two weeks of submission.
2. Can I select the agency for which I can apply?
You have the opportunity to review and select from the list of community partners and apply to each position individually. However, keep in mind program staff may offer additional suggestions for available positions upon reviewing your application and resume. Interviews are scheduled with agency site supervisors to determine the quality of fit and matches will be based on a combination in consideration of student skills and agency/organizational needs.
3. Are there any commitments?
Rowdy Corps are expected to work no less than 12 hours/week and no more than 19 hours/week over the span of the academic year. Students are also required to attend mandatory reflection and leadership training sessions throughout the academic year. Students are highly encouraged to make a two-year commitment to the program.
4. How do I get paid?
Rowdy Corps’ current pay rate is $11.50 per hour and checks are processed on a bi-weekly basis through the university.
Tips for remaining eligible for Rowdy Corps:
- Maintain good academic standing at UTSA
- Follow student guidelines established for work-study funding
- Remain enrolled for a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester
- Attend all mandatory Rowdy Corps reflection sessions and trainings
- Work no more than 19 hours/week at your designated agency during regular school days
- Monitor your hours and payroll to assure that you do not exceed your allocated work-study funds
- To continue work at your Rowdy Corps agency site from one year to the next, you must maintain Center for Civic Engagement approval and work-study eligibility
- Consider linking your site assignment with your coursework
How to Apply?
*Multiple positions open for Fall 2020!*
Eligible students must submit anonline application, a copy of their current class schedule and proof of their Financial Aid work study award. More positions become available at the end of each Spring semester, since majority of the second-year students transition out of the program. However, if an opening becomes available at a different time, it will be indicated in the following community partner list:
- American Indians in Texas at the Spanish Colonial Missions
- Boys and Girls Club of San Antonio
- Chromosome 18
- Esperanza Peace and Justice Center
- Family Service Association
- Girls Scouts of Southwest Texas
- Good Samaritan Community Services
- Greater Edwards Aquifer Alliance
- Madonna Center, Inc.
- Martinez Street Women’s Center
- MOVE Texas
- San Anto Cultural Arts
- San Antonio Youth Literacy
- The DoSeum
- City Council District 5
If you wish to become a Rowdy Corps Community Partner, please complete the following online application. The Center for Civic Engagement staff along with the Rowdy Corps Program Coordinator will review applications as openings becomes available.
Please click here to download a PDF of the most frequently asked questions from community partners.
***Rowdy Corps is currently accepting applications for Community Partners for the 2020-2021 academic year !***
If you have any questions about this program please email email@example.com or call 210-458-2277.